Thursday, March 31, 2011

Varanasi!

Namaste!
We're in Varanasi and it is very hot! Pretty different than Seattle's weather I'm assuming. But we'll be heading to Amritstar tomorrow morning! Really looking forward to seeing the Golden Temple.
Varanasi has been amazing! Much different than Delhi, one of the biggest differences I've seen is the lack of staring. In Delhi, it was almost constant, but here it's pretty rare.
Yesterday we had yoga on the roof top at 6:30, pretty amazing. Our instructor wore dress pants and a dress shirt and he still managed to be more flexible than all of us. After Yoga, we had breakfast and Doug taught us little bit about Hinduism. Sadly, I was the first one to come down with bad diarrhea. Luckily I only had to miss a couple activies but it was still pretty unfortunate. Squat toilets have made things a little interesting but overall I'm feeling a bit better. I'm really glad that I didn't have to miss the boat ride we took yesterday. Last night, we went down the Ganges. What an amazing experience. We watched the nightly ceremony at one of the Ghats. It was incredible to finally see something I had read so much about it books, in person. We were all covered up in long layers and 100% deet. I think we kind of made a big bubble type force field around our boat. Most people didn't get any bites!
Did a bit of shopping today! Got a couple of silk scarves and some really cool Indian MC Hammer pants which I am wearing right now. They're great for the heat! Hopefully I'll be able to wear them in the States too without getting too many strange looks. We also saw half a Bollywood movie today! I'm pretty sure the stories we made up about what was going on were better than what the movie was actually about.
We're headed to Amritsar tomorrow morning!!
Golden Temple here we come!
Namaste

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you got sick but I'm glad that you got to see the puja from the water!

    - Peter

    ReplyDelete